Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
#MusicStrong podcast [42 minutes]
I met Keith Boyer many years ago.
I was a shy pre-teen girl, not quite ready to flirt or even know what that meant. I was naive enough to ride a new but already beloved skateboard to school, which was promptly stolen. We barely know ourselves at 10- or 11-years old, how could we possibly know who would be a lifelong friend, worthy of our hearts? Keith was a shy and goofy pre-teen boy and we shared a playground, a few classes, some good times, and many, many friends. I cherish his signature in my yearbook…
It wasn’t until years later, over forty years later, that I grew to love Keith and his gentle and easy nature. He made you feel like you were his best friend and that he would do anything for you. That was his way.
In his adult life, Keith was a law enforcement officer and a really good man – I can say that he is easily one of the best people I have ever known in my life.
In his youth and throughout his adult life, Keith was a percussionist. He was a drummer who loved to drum. The moment I saw the Be a Mr. Jensen video, I thought of Keith.
He was the best for the world.
On February 20, 2017 – Keith posted a Happy Birthday comment on Facebook to my daughter and then he went to work as a Police Officer and I went to work as a Marketing Executive. When I checked back in on FB after a meeting, I saw many sad messages from several friends – Keith had been shot and killed in the line of duty. A devastating loss to the community of Whittier, CA. A devastating loss to the 1981 Class of La Serna High School. A devastating loss to Keith’s family and all of his friends.
**Concert: La Mirada February 17th, 2018, 7:30pm
La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts
14900 La Mirada Blvd, La Mirada, California 90638
Nearly a year later, I still fight back the tears and struggle whenever I speak of him. Recently, I was able to speak with Jeff McNeal from Mrs. Jones’ Revenge, the band Keith played with, and Jan Edwards, a La Serna High School Classmate and dear friend of Keith’s, about a concert on February 17th to benefit s scholarship fund created in Keith’s Memory.
In this day and age of strained law enforcement relations, it has been joyful to see a community recognize the goodness in this man and get behind his family and his memory.
- To purchase or donate concert tickets, visit here.
- To learn more about Mrs. Jones’ Revenge, visit here.
- To read about the impact of Keith’s death, visit here <<< but, there is so much more than shared here.You are missed, Keith! Thank you for sure service and thank you for inspiring so many to give and continue to give. It was you who truly inspired me to launch MusicLaguna and subsequently this podcast. Live, local music is the best and I want to show appreciation for all the incredible musicians whose hearts beat in small, local venues. Rock on!
* This is the inaugural podcast for #MusicStrong – watch for more episodes featuring live, local bands and the people whose lives they touch.
Latest posts by Rayanne Krueger (see all)
- HR Latte: Humanly.io Announces Momentum Raise of $4.2M - September 15, 2021
- HR Latte: 100+ Days of Unemployment and COVID - September 21, 2020
- The Inside Beat, episode 2 – an Optum Podcast - February 20, 2020
Be First to Comment