Welcome to Episode Five of The Realities of Leadership: Some Work Can Only Be Done By YOU (And Your Leadership Team)!
Discussion guide from The Realities of Leadership, Episode Five:
1. “The strategy of hope.” A common problem, pushing off challenges and struggles to others, hoping the problems go away. The avoidance of conflict…
2. Leaders HAVE to make tough choices.
3. The most important choice a leader makes is putting in the right (or wrong) leaders around them.
4. If you are not prepared to make the tough calls, you are not ready to be a leader.
5. If you believe everything is important, then nothing is important, and you aren’t leading. Prioritization is a key responsibility of leaders.
6. Key to set the expectations of your people, and to determine role clarity.
7. As a leader, there are times you will be unpopular. This is a reality of leadership.
8. “You have to explain your choices.”
9. Some of the work only a leader can do:
a. Putting the right talent around you.
b. Managing your resources.
c. Establishing expectations for behavior.
d. Coach for performance.
e. Communication (communicate beyond what you think is logical).
10. A leader has to have the patience to communicate a message again and again and again, until it sticks. Most do not have that patience.
11. The leader must communicate the following: Where were we, where are we now, and where are we going? This is how the leader controls the narrative.
12. VOID: What happens when you do NOT do the work that only you as a leader should do. You create voids that cannot be filled by others.
About our host, Erica Peitler:
Erica is a Leadership Performance Coach who courageously partners with individuals, teams and organizations who want to realize their visions of success by transforming their leadership potential into visible, on the ground, breakthrough leadership performance!
With an engaging, provocative and straight forward approach, Erica inspires leaders to reach beyond their comfort level as they pursue becoming the performance based leaders they aspire to be in both their professional and personal life.
As a keynote speaker and author, Erica educates, entertains and enlightens audiences on leadership, transformational change and professional/personal growth initiatives.
Find Erica Peitler’s book here:
The essence of Leadership Rigor is creating change-ready leaders who can embrace challenges because they have the tools, models, and language to assess, structure, and facilitate aligned actions. They also have the mindset and emotional skills to lean into the change process despite its uncomfortable nature. By innovating on their preparedness first, these change-ready leaders are equipped to realize the growth in themselves and in their teams or organizations. Are you ready to take on your personal journey of Leadership Rigor?
Series co-host Todd Schnick is the Editor-In-Chief of intrepid.MEDIA and a media and content strategist. A former marketing strategist, lobbyist, and national political operative, Todd now lives and works in the Chicago Loop with his family. He is a writer, foodie, bibliophile, distance runner, and nearly full-time dog mom.
This series recorded LIVE from our Merchandise Mart studios in Chicago, Illinois! (Click on photo below for history of our studios!)