Welcome to Episode Two of the Tensions of Leadership: Leading Yourself – Part 1, Establishing Your Leadership Voice!
Discussion guide from the Tensions of Leadership, Episode Two:
1. What does it mean to cross the Knowing/Doing gap? Are you a passenger? Or are you a participant in a leadership journey?
2. “At this point, it is you on you. How are YOU going to show up?”
3. To establish your leadership voice, you have to get into the game. You CANNOT be reluctant.
4. The arc of your entire leadership career starts very early, and the first tension you face, is deciding to engage, and crossing the knowing/doing gap!
5. Establishing your leadership voice really comes down to EXPRESSING it! Your voice doesn’t matter if it is not heard.
6. This does take courage.
7. When it comes to capability building, do not ONLY focus on technical skills.
8. “Your work will NOT speak for itself. You have to express yourself vocally. You need to be engaging and influencing your stakeholders!”
9. So, how does this really take off for a new and want-to-be leader? It does require intense preparation and making important choices.
10. Mindful leadership (and what that means), and choosing NOT to be reluctant.
11. Boldly seeking entry points! You have seek them out, see them, and then seize them when the opportunity presents itself.
12. Why you might need to mentally rehearse expressing your leadership voice!
13. Come up with standard phrases to jump into an opportunity, at a business meeting for instance, saying things like: I want to add something here; I’d like to build on something here; I’d like to offer another perspective; or I’d like to challenge something here…
14. The nuances regarding establishing your leadership voice for both introverts and extroverts.
About our host, Erica Peitler:
Erica is a Leadership Performance Coach who courageously partners with individuals, teams and organizations who want to realize their visions of success by transforming their leadership potential into visible, on the ground, breakthrough leadership performance!
With an engaging, provocative and straight forward approach, Erica inspires leaders to reach beyond their comfort level as they pursue becoming the performance based leaders they aspire to be in both their professional and personal life.
As a keynote speaker and author, Erica educates, entertains and enlightens audiences on leadership, transformational change and professional/personal growth initiatives.
Find Erica Peitler’s book here:
The essence of Leadership Rigor is creating change-ready leaders who can embrace challenges because they have the tools, models, and language to assess, structure, and facilitate aligned actions. They also have the mindset and emotional skills to lean into the change process despite its uncomfortable nature. By innovating on their preparedness first, these change-ready leaders are equipped to realize the growth in themselves and in their teams or organizations. Are you ready to take on your personal journey of Leadership Rigor?
Series co-host Todd Schnick is the Editor-In-Chief of intrepid.MEDIA and a media and content strategist. A former marketing strategist, lobbyist, and national political operative, Todd now lives and works in the Chicago Loop with his family. He is a writer, foodie, bibliophile, distance runner, and nearly full-time dog mom.
This series recorded LIVE from our Merchandise Mart studios in Chicago, Illinois! (Click on photo below for history of our studios!)
Latest posts by Todd Schnick (see all)
- Please do not recline your seat back and other rules on proper airline etiquette - February 1, 2018
- You need to slow down - January 1, 2018
- 25 key things for you to do this year - December 29, 2017