Welcome to Episode Three of the Tensions of Leadership: Leading Yourself – Part 2, Utilizing Your Leadership Voice to Influence!
Discussion guide from the Tensions of Leadership, Episode Three:
1. In leading yourself, you have to figure out what your end game is first. Where do you want to take your leadership practice?
2. Do you want to lead something? Or do you want to be a thought leader or trusted advisor?
3. What are the differences between transactional players and trusted advisors? And the decision to be one or the other is a significant tension leaders will face.
4. “The tension of expectations.”
5. “Do I really want to a team leader, or lead an organization?” And sometimes we do this because we think that’s what the organization (or friends and family) wants, when it really doesn’t fit our skill sets and desires.
6. As best you can, make resolve these kinds of personal leadership tensions as early as you can.
7. Don’t forget, organizations need technical experts and transactional players too. Not everyone can be a “leader.”
8. Veritas vs. Gravitas. Gravitas is having the ability to make an impact, to influence!
9. How “role modeling” plays into this…
10. The two types of mindsets: Growth vs. Fixed. Most of us leave a job because we don’t care for our boss, and that boss is typically of a fixed mindset.
11. The modern business leaders needs to have a growth mindset. But…can someone operating out of a fixed mindset, can they change?
12. Asking the key question, “Who do we serve?” Do you serve the master? Or do you serve the team? You cannot just serve your direct reports, you need to serve the whole organization.
13. Manipulating versus influencing. Are they different?
About our host, Erica Peitler:
Erica is a Leadership Performance Coach who courageously partners with individuals, teams and organizations who want to realize their visions of success by transforming their leadership potential into visible, on the ground, breakthrough leadership performance!
With an engaging, provocative and straight forward approach, Erica inspires leaders to reach beyond their comfort level as they pursue becoming the performance based leaders they aspire to be in both their professional and personal life.
As a keynote speaker and author, Erica educates, entertains and enlightens audiences on leadership, transformational change and professional/personal growth initiatives.
Find Erica Peitler’s book here:
The essence of Leadership Rigor is creating change-ready leaders who can embrace challenges because they have the tools, models, and language to assess, structure, and facilitate aligned actions. They also have the mindset and emotional skills to lean into the change process despite its uncomfortable nature. By innovating on their preparedness first, these change-ready leaders are equipped to realize the growth in themselves and in their teams or organizations. Are you ready to take on your personal journey of Leadership Rigor?
Series co-host Todd Schnick is the Editor-In-Chief of intrepid.MEDIA and a media and content strategist. A former marketing strategist, lobbyist, and national political operative, Todd now lives and works in the Chicago Loop with his family. He is a writer, foodie, bibliophile, distance runner, and nearly full-time dog mom.
This series recorded LIVE from our Merchandise Mart studios in Chicago, Illinois! (Click on photo below for history of our studios!)
Latest posts by Todd Schnick (see all)
- Dan Manginelli: Why shaking it up is the only way to force positive change - March 26, 2017
- Col. Lee Ellis: Discusses meaning, purpose, and leadership - March 21, 2017
- Jeb Blount: Leveraging a new psychology of selling (your Sales EQ) - March 19, 2017