Welcome to Episode Four of the Tensions of Leadership: Leading Teams – Part 1, Recalibrating Yourself As A Leader!
Discussion guide from the Tensions of Leadership, Episode Four:
1. Now that we are shifting our knowing and doing to leading teams, this is still You on You.
2. You are now moving from “delivering work” to “developing,” or delivering work through OTHER PEOPLE. What is this transition about? Before, you were a practitioner, a contributor. This is an entirely different set of skills.
3. Remember, leadership is a skilled profession, and these are skills you can learn and develop!
4. The shift from ME-ology to WE-ology!
5. A critical first tension is letting go of the work. Can you let others do the work you were once responsible for, not that you are leading a team? Can you give your team the space and the coaching to learn those new tasks? Many struggle with this tension…
6. You now have position power. And the problem comes when new leaders abuse that power.
7. You want to use your “personal” power to engage and influence, not your “position” power which is just top down command and control.
8. You want to be carefrontational, not confrontational.
9. The next tension is dealing with obstacles, challenges and problems. Are you going to address them? Or avoid them?
10. Next tension to face: will you provide answers? Or questions? Are they dependent ON YOU? Or FROM YOU?
11. Will you EMPOWER your team? Or will you CONTROL your team? People need to understand the WHAT you are asking, but need the freedom to complete the task. We need to create the space that our team can grow into the people they can be.
12. This is where emotional intelligence and self-awareness is so important! EQ is more important than IQ!
13. “If you have to be the smartest person in the room, you probably aren’t the right person to be a team leader.”
14. Are you the leader of the team? Or a part of the team? Your role is to DEVELOP your team, not to PROTECT your team. You need to PREPARE your team to do what they need to do.
15. How does the team make decisions?
16. Are you going to be a leader that makes your team EARN trust? Or will you GIVE trust? Why does that matter?
17. Will you as a team leader resolve the tension of clarity and closure?
About our host, Erica Peitler:
Erica is a Leadership Performance Coach who courageously partners with individuals, teams and organizations who want to realize their visions of success by transforming their leadership potential into visible, on the ground, breakthrough leadership performance!
With an engaging, provocative and straight forward approach, Erica inspires leaders to reach beyond their comfort level as they pursue becoming the performance based leaders they aspire to be in both their professional and personal life.
As a keynote speaker and author, Erica educates, entertains and enlightens audiences on leadership, transformational change and professional/personal growth initiatives.
Find Erica Peitler’s book here:
The essence of Leadership Rigor is creating change-ready leaders who can embrace challenges because they have the tools, models, and language to assess, structure, and facilitate aligned actions. They also have the mindset and emotional skills to lean into the change process despite its uncomfortable nature. By innovating on their preparedness first, these change-ready leaders are equipped to realize the growth in themselves and in their teams or organizations. Are you ready to take on your personal journey of Leadership Rigor?
Series co-host Todd Schnick is the Editor-In-Chief of intrepid.MEDIA and a media and content strategist. A former marketing strategist, lobbyist, and national political operative, Todd now lives and works in the Chicago Loop with his family. He is a writer, foodie, bibliophile, distance runner, and nearly full-time dog mom.
This series recorded LIVE from our Merchandise Mart studios in Chicago, Illinois! (Click on photo below for history of our studios!)
Latest posts by Todd Schnick (see all)
- Dan Manginelli: Why shaking it up is the only way to force positive change - March 26, 2017
- Col. Lee Ellis: Discusses meaning, purpose, and leadership - March 21, 2017
- Jeb Blount: Leveraging a new psychology of selling (your Sales EQ) - March 19, 2017