Welcome to Episode Two of The Realities of Leadership: Leadership Is A Skilled Profession!
Discussion guide from The Realities of Leadership, Episode Two:
1. Foundational first is to understand the “principles” of leadership.
a. Leadership can be learned.
b. Leadership is emotional.
c. This is a service business.
2. “The modern leader has to be emotionally-connected to people.” The two currencies of leadership: communication and relationships.
3. Fundamental models of leadership.
4. The importance of temperament. Do you have the self-management to make these adjustments? Do you have the emotional intelligence to deal with negative situations, and play the long game?
5. “People and organizations deserve great leaders.”
6. The distinction between motivation and inspiration, and why a leader needs to understand that (they need to provide an environment that inspires). “Do they know what motivates their employees?”
7. Quick reminder: Remember, you are a leader in service of others.
8. Truly understanding the motivations of your team/employees really simplifies the role of a leader.
9. Yes, one of the realities of leadership is to talk to your people, and begin to really understand who they are and what motivates them. This is a skill you can develop!
10. Get over the supposed fantasies of leadership (fame and fortune). You have to develop skills and do the work.
11. What is the required mindset of a leader (growth mindset). They need to be learners and open to feedback. You are going to make mistakes and you have to be committed to get better at the practice of leadership.
About our host, Erica Peitler:
Erica is a Leadership Performance Coach who courageously partners with individuals, teams and organizations who want to realize their visions of success by transforming their leadership potential into visible, on the ground, breakthrough leadership performance!
With an engaging, provocative and straight forward approach, Erica inspires leaders to reach beyond their comfort level as they pursue becoming the performance based leaders they aspire to be in both their professional and personal life.
As a keynote speaker and author, Erica educates, entertains and enlightens audiences on leadership, transformational change and professional/personal growth initiatives.
Find Erica Peitler’s book here:
The essence of Leadership Rigor is creating change-ready leaders who can embrace challenges because they have the tools, models, and language to assess, structure, and facilitate aligned actions. They also have the mindset and emotional skills to lean into the change process despite its uncomfortable nature. By innovating on their preparedness first, these change-ready leaders are equipped to realize the growth in themselves and in their teams or organizations. Are you ready to take on your personal journey of Leadership Rigor?
Series co-host Todd Schnick is the Editor-In-Chief of intrepid.MEDIA and a media and content strategist. A former marketing strategist, lobbyist, and national political operative, Todd now lives and works in the Chicago Loop with his family. He is a writer, foodie, bibliophile, distance runner, and nearly full-time dog mom.