Welcome to Episode One of The Realities of Leadership: The Introduction to the new series, The Realities of Leadership!
Discussion guide from The Realities of Leadership, Episode One:
1. You can never forget that leadership is a skilled profession, and you must develop those skills. But when you marry those skills to understanding the realities of leadership, this is where the rubber hits the road.
2. “It’s not just about fame, money, and power anymore.”
3. Leadership is a practice, and without the practice, the work, and putting in the time, you will never develop the skills. They do not magically appear with the position.
4. Old-school leadership (me) vs. contemporary leadership (others).
5. The right mindset is critical when it comes to dealing with the realities of leadership. They have to balance being the optimist and the force for long-term positive thinking with the realities that bad stuff is going to happen.
6. The six realities of leadership:
a. Leadership is a skilled profession.
b. Your fingerprints are on everything.
c. Are you enlightened enough to lead today?
d. There is some work that can ONLY be done by you and your leadership team.
e. Your people (talent) will leave you for good and bad reasons.
f. Your leadership journey never ends (for the really great leaders).
About our host, Erica Peitler:
Erica is a Leadership Performance Coach who courageously partners with individuals, teams and organizations who want to realize their visions of success by transforming their leadership potential into visible, on the ground, breakthrough leadership performance!
With an engaging, provocative and straight forward approach, Erica inspires leaders to reach beyond their comfort level as they pursue becoming the performance based leaders they aspire to be in both their professional and personal life.
As a keynote speaker and author, Erica educates, entertains and enlightens audiences on leadership, transformational change and professional/personal growth initiatives.
Find Erica Peitler’s book here:
The essence of Leadership Rigor is creating change-ready leaders who can embrace challenges because they have the tools, models, and language to assess, structure, and facilitate aligned actions. They also have the mindset and emotional skills to lean into the change process despite its uncomfortable nature. By innovating on their preparedness first, these change-ready leaders are equipped to realize the growth in themselves and in their teams or organizations. Are you ready to take on your personal journey of Leadership Rigor?
Series co-host Todd Schnick is the Editor-In-Chief of intrepid.MEDIA and a media and content strategist. A former marketing strategist, lobbyist, and national political operative, Todd now lives and works in the Chicago Loop with his family. He is a writer, foodie, bibliophile, distance runner, and nearly full-time dog mom.
This series recorded LIVE from our Merchandise Mart studios in Chicago, Illinois! (Click on photo below for history of our studios!)
Latest posts by Todd Schnick (see all)
- Gregg Thompson: Coaching with character, connection, and conversation - April 28, 2017
- Episode Three – Your Fingerprints Are On Everything - April 26, 2017
- Episode Two – Leadership Is A Skilled Profession - April 19, 2017